Wednesday, June 3, 2009

CNN show on people desperate for stem cell treatment was a sleeper

Did anyone happen to catch the CNN site today? Having declined to go on camera with them myself after getting a whiff of what they planned to dis on the Lou Dobbs show, I didn't really feel like watching it, but someone had to send me the article which recaps the show on desperate people leaving the country for stem cell treatment. Here's an excerpt:

"The International Society of Stem Cell Researchers and the FDA discourage Americans from traveling overseas for stem cell therapy. But clinics are operating worldwide -- many in China, and several in Russia, Latin America and Mexico."

"We do not encourage patients to seek therapies overseas that are not FDA-approved in the U.S.," an agency spokesman said in an e-mail to CNN, "as the products or therapies have not undergone the agency's rigorous review."


I could hardly control myself. It was the best laugh I had all day. All of a sudden CNN, the ISSCR and the FDA don't want me or my fellow patients with diseases that have no known cures leaving the country to try stem cell treatment. I think I will call the FDA tomorrow and find out just where I can get one of their approved treatments for COPD here in the U.S. I must have been in a fog for the last few years and didn't realize that these treatments were available here in the states. Silly me and thousands of others who thought we had to leave the U.S. when all along the FDA has these darn therapies available to everyone who desperately needs them right here.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with 99% of what you wrote. However, I do believe I would have added two more words to your last sentence. Those two words being: "right now"!

    ReplyDelete